- 1. Torin Big Red Steel Jack Stands
- 2. Alltrade Powerbuilt 640912 Jack with Jack Stand
- 3. Camco Olympian Aluminum Stack Jacks
- 4. Cartman 3 Ton Jack Stands
- 5. AmazonBasics Steel Jack Auto Stands
- 6. Performance Tool W41022 3 Ton Capacity Jack Stand Set
- 7. Sunex Tools Jack Stands
- 8. Torin Big Red Aluminum Jack Stands
- 9. Pro-LifT Double Pin Jack Stands
- 10. EAZ LIFT Telescopic Jack
- 11. ESCO 10498 Jack Stand
If you enjoy performing your own auto maintenance and repairs, you need to make sure you have the right equipment and the right tools. You also want to set up your garage space so you can work easily — and having a jack stand is something you’ll absolutely need. A jack stand suspends your vehicle so you can work on it from different angles and in different positions, lifting it off the ground. But to stay safe while you work, you won’t want to trust just any jack stand. A car safety jack stand can help keep you protected with a stable, secure lift for vehicles of different weights. You wouldn’t want to risk working underneath a car without one of these safety stands. Check out some of the best car safety jack stands available below.
The Best Car Jack Stand
Here at Car Autance we love products that happily shout out what they’re all about — which is why we’ve started with these bad boys!
They’re big, they’re red and they’re made of wood. No, wait — they’re made of steel so that is all the boxes ticked. Joking aside, these are really solid stands, made of high-grade forged steel. This makes them a bit heavier than some other models but also gives them a very reassuring heft.
They have a lovely, oversized saddle area too that makes it easy to plant your vehicle’s jacking points into the saddle for safe contact. Price-wise, they are about middle of the pack and come with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty.
This is a very good set of tools for a very reasonable price.
- Lifting range from 11 to 16 inches
- High Grade Forged Steel Construction
- Brand Torin
- Model T43302
- Weight 14.87 lbs
Another option is to go with a built in Jack and Jack Stand, such as we have here in this product. This could be particularly interesting if you don’t currently have a Jack, and so would save you paying out for two separate products.
It is worth noting that as it essentially combines two tools it is a pretty bulky product, weighing in at almost 22 pounds, and with no built-in wheels, it can be a pain to move around. As a bottle Jack, it is taller then other, vertical models so it may also be difficult to get it underneath smaller cars — if you have a sports car (or car with sport suspension) then this is a no-no!
All in though, this pretty rugged tool does a decent job of combining two functions into one.
- Design Combines Jack & Stand in One
- Built in Safety Bar
- Wide, Stable Base
- Brand Alltrade
- Model 640912
- Weight 21.8 lbs
From the innovative design of the built-in model above, we come now to perhaps the very polar opposite in Jack Stand technology. This Product from Camco is wonderfully straightforward and easy to use.
With all-aluminum construction, you get a set of stands that are both incredibly light and have very impressive total lift weights – 6,000 lbs total, which is very impressive for Jacks of this size.
When constructed of Aluminum, you will often see the price rise for these products — however, that is not the case here. By utilizing a relatively simple design, the price is kept low despite the premium material used in construction.
You are getting a high quality stand for a very reasonable price here.
- Can Support 6000lb Weight
- Adjusts from 11 to 17 Inches
- Brand Camco
- Model 44561
- Weight 3.55 lbs
These are very solid stands that provide all the build quality and security you would expect from a company like Cartman.
Built of high-quality steel, they are heavier than equivalent aluminum models, but they are a little lighter than you would expect for a pair of stands rated for three tons max weight, which means they are easy enough to move around.
The built in quick adjustment mechanism is the real stand out feature here, however. As the name suggests, it allows for quick adjustments whilst the stands are in use. So if you jacked the car a little high, you can easily drop it an inch or two to help with draining for example. This makes them easier to use than some other models that have to be unloaded completely to be adjusted.
- Heavy Duty Steel Construction
- Quick Adjustment Mechanism
- Wide Base
- Brand Cartman
- Model JA110704
- Weight 12 lbs
The AmazonBasics Steel Jack Auto Stands is a pair of three-ton carjacks that stand at a capacity of 6,000 pounds when used together. Selling with a one-year warranty, this product guarantees good value for the money. It comes with a durable steel frame that has a rustproof coating, ensuring that the luster is preserved for a rather long time. Furthermore, its precise height adjustment feature ensures that the stand can be raised or lowered, adjusting to the necessary height needed at any point in time. Along with a self-locking ratchet feature, this makes for significant ease of use.
The AmazonBasics Steel Jack Auto Stands also meets the ASME PASE-2014 safety standard for portable automotive service equipment with the self-locking ratchet feature, which makes a locking key unnecessary.
- Precise height adjustments.
- Heavy-duty steel frame.
- Large surface area for stable contact.
- Self-locking ratchet.
- Brand AmazonBasics
- Model SW-STJK03
- Weight 11.77 pounds
Cost wise, this set comes in almost bang average in the middle of the price range. The price in this instance actually kind of matches the product, in that these are very much a middle of the road Jack Stand.
That is not meant as an insult by the way. Rather, it just highlights that this product will give you exactly what you need and what you expect. It will give you nothing more, but it also won’t give any less.
This is a just a well constructed, very simple Stand with no bells or whistles — and no obvious faults either. It just does exactly what it says it will — and will probably carry on doing it for a long time to come!
- 3 Ton Capacity
- Rugged Construction
- Lift Range from 11-1/4 inches to 16-3/4 Inches
- Brand Performance Tool
- Model W41022
- Weight 15.9 lbs
The Sunex 10-Ton Pin Type Jack Stands are car jacks with a maximum height of 46.5 inches. Made with heavy schedule pipes, you are guaranteed significant strength and stability, owing to the wide, solid four-leg steel base feature. Its support tube was designed with multiple holes, making any height adjustment very easy, quick, and secure.
The Sunex Jack Stand was designed with a large saddle with locating lugs that support and position vehicle frames. With innovation and quality at the forefront of their goals, the Sunex 10-Ton Pin Type Jack Stands was designed to give you the best user experience and high performance. Having endured the ASME PALD Compliance testing, you might want to leave it to Sunex Tools when it comes to heavy-duty repairs.
- 2 Jack Stands.
- 4-Leg Steel Base.
- Quick and easy height adjustment.
- Large saddle with locating lugs support.
- Brand Sunex Tools
- Model 1410
- Weight 0.48 ounces
From the standard-but-solid stands above to this somewhat innovative design, our second entry from Torin on the list (well done them!)
This is our second pair of stands made from aluminum construction. And much like the last pair, that manufacturing has allowed Torin to market a product capable of delivering excellent lift capacity (three tons) for a very low product weight. What’s more, they fold up into themselves for easy storage — they take up so little room you could probably store them in the car trunk if you wanted to.
The large base size makes them lovely and stable in operation, and the large saddle makes placing them under the vehicle jacking points nice and simple. This is a premium product so it is going to come with a premium price tag — in fact, it is one of the most expensive on our list.
For that price though, this truly is a top, top quality set of stands that will almost certainly do a great job for years to come.
- Lightweight, Aluminum Construction
- Large Saddles
- 3-Ton Lift Capacity
- Brand Torin
- Model T43003
- Weight 10.2 lbs
The Pro-Lift T-6903D Double Pin Jack Stand is ideal for home, professional, and farm use. A three-ton double locking jack stand, the Pro-Lift T-6903D is good quality for money, guaranteed to provide durability and longevity. The stand comes built with a cast ductile iron bar that is of a high-quality as well as a sturdy steel construction. It also has a height adjustment mechanism that enables smooth upward movements.
It is used in pair with counter-weighted pawls which ensure a safe use with secure locking to works to lock the ratchet bar in place acting as an extra carrying point. Overall, the Pro-Lift T-6903D Double Pin Jack Stands offer the best when it comes to durability and strength. What’s more, they also meet the ANSI/PALD standards.
- Height adjustment mechanism.
- Double locks mechanism.
- Sturdy steel construction.
- High quality iron ratchet bar.
- Brand Pro-LifT
- Model T-6903D
- Weight 13.7 pounds
The EAZ LIFT 48860 Telescopic Jack is a car jack that comes certified with 6000-pound load capacity. It comes in a set of two and its sturdy steel construction and powder coat ensure there is maximum protection of the jack against rust. The EAZ LIFT Jack also has an adjustable feature from 16 to 30 inches and comes built with an inner tube that is zinc plated.
It is easy to use, and it is one that you might use for quite a while to come due to its durable design. Whether you use a Camper or a Jeep Wrangler, with a 6000-pound load capacity, you will find the EAZ LIFT 48860 Telescopic Jack to be a good choice for any jack stand.
- Powder-coated for the best protection against rust.
- Adjustable from 16 inches to 30 inches.
- Sturdy steel construction.
- 6000 pounds load capacity.
- Brand EAZ LIFT
- Model 48860
- Weight 20 pounds
The first thing to note is that this is a single stand, not a pair like the other entries on this list. Technically, that makes this the most expensive stand on the list, even though it’s a few bucks cheaper than the aluminum set from Torin.
So why shell out so much cash on a single stand?
Because it’s worth every penny! This is a professional standard Jack Stand that would not look out of place in a pro body shop or garage. It is forged from incredibly robust construction, and the rubber-tipped saddle on top makes finding and securing the jacking points so simple. The feet are rounded to provide a nice solid base during use.
Yes, this is an expensive product. But on the other hand, you are basically placing your life in the hands of these tools as you work beneath the vehicle. There are few stands on the market as deserving of that trust as this one.
- 3 Ton Capacity
- Single Stand
- Extremely Robust Construction
- Brand ESCO
- Model 10498
- Weight 2.08 oz
Best Jack Stands Buying Guide & FAQ
Because car safety jack stands are so critical while you’re working on your vehicle, you don’t want to choose just any product. Opting for a low-quality jack stand could bring disastrous results — and you don’t want to risk your safety. You need to consider and compare different features, materials, and more in jack stands to make sure you’re buying one of the best on the market. A quality jack stand should be able to safely and reliably hold your car overhead so you can work underneath. So, before you decide to buy any car safety jack stand, make sure to take a look at our buying guide.
How to Use Jack Stands Properly
Lifting your car off the ground is easy with the right jack stand. But no matter how easy it is, it’s always precarious. You’re putting a lot of weight up into the air — and you’re getting underneath that weight. If not used properly, a jack stand could slip, release, or malfunction, causing your entire vehicle and its weight to come crashing down. So, to protect yourself and your car, you’ll want to make certain you’re using your jack stand properly.
There are plenty of reasons why you’d need a jack to lift your vehicle. But no matter what kind of maintenance or repairs you’re performing, from changing your car’s oil to working on your wheels, you need to keep safety at the forefront of your plans and actions.
First and foremost, you should never get underneath your car when it’s supported only by a jack. A jack can help you lift the vehicle, but it doesn’t offer reliable support or stability. Jacks lack failsafe features, and that means they can let your vehicle down while you’re underneath its weight. Around 10,000 Americans are seriously injured per year, but you can lessen your odds of getting injured with jack stands. When used in combination with a jack, car safety jack stands can offer more support and more reliability.
Here’s how to properly place and use a set of jack stands:
- Park the vehicle on solid, stable, and flat ground. A concrete driveway is perfect, gravel not so much. Anyway, who wants to lie down on gravel?
- Ensure the Parking Brake is fully engaged before you start to raise the car.
- Wheel Chocks can add an extra element of safety, and are in fact highly recommended. They will prevent the vehicle from rolling backward during any stage of the lift or when you are working underneath.
- Check the Hydraulic Jack & Jack Stands for any visible defects.
- Locate the Jacking Points on your vehicle. Your car manual should tell you exactly where they are. The Jack Points are specially reinforced to support the vehicle weight — only lift the car up at these points or you’ll probably put the Jack Saddle straight through the car’s floor — which is bad.
- Raise the car with the Hydraulic Jack, referring to the tools instructions for safe operation.
- Once it is at the required height, place the Stands underneath, also attaching them to the designated Jacking Points on the vehicle. Make sure they are placed on solid and stable ground and that they are comfortably supporting the weight of the vehicle.
- Remove the Hydraulic Jack and test the vehicle is securely held up by giving the vehicle a gentle nudge.
- The car should now be securely held aloft and ready to work on.
What Size Jack Stand do I Need for My Car?
You might automatically assume that bigger is better when it comes to car safety jack stands. After all, if you want to stay safe, you want jack stands that can hold the highest amount of weight, right?
The answer is a little more complicated than that. You do want a jack stand that can hold a lot of weight. It’s a good idea to choose a jack stand that can hold more weight than the weight of your vehicle. For example, if your car weighs 1.5 tons, you can opt for a jack stand that’s rated to hold two tons.
But you don’t need to take the weight capacity to an extreme. You don’t need to choose a jack stand that can hold far more than your car’s weight. For example, you wouldn’t want to buy a seriously heavy-duty stand that’s rated for 12 tons when your car weighs just 2 tons.
Why does this matter? Well, the more powerful a jack stand is — and the more weight it can hold — the more expensive the price will be. As the weight capacity increases on jack stand models, your cost will increase. Instead, save yourself money and make a safe yet cost-efficient purchase. Look at your vehicle’s manual to find out how much your car, truck, or SUV weighs. Then, you can choose a jack stand set that’ll suit that amount.
All of the jack stands featured here are rated to hold up to three tons of weight. This should give you a selection of quality choices, all of which are suitable for your typical car, truck, and SUV. However, if you own a large pickup or an extra-large SUV, you may find that you need more weight and more strength.
Here’s another important detail to keep in mind when you’re considering weight ratings. If you’re purchasing a set of multiple jack stands, the weight rating is likely divided among the individual stands. So, if you’re interested in a pair of jack stands with a weight rating of three tons, you’ll have to use both stands together to be able to properly support that weight total. Each jack stand will only be able to hold 1.5 tons when used independently. Just make sure to double-check the weight rating before you buy it.
Features of a Good Jack Stand
All the stands in the list above are high-quality tools, however, they do have different features that differ from model to model. Depending on what you’re looking for, this may affect your buying decisions, so keep an eye out for:
- Material – Most stands are made from Galvanized Steel. This material is very strong but also quite heavy. Aluminum stands will be much lighter and easier to move around without sacrificing strength. They will also typically be more expensive.
- Saddle – This is where the car Jacking Point will sit in. A larger saddle makes it easier to position the stands. Further, a saddle with extra cushioning, like a rubber pad, will help to protect the Jacking Point from damage or wear and tear. Therefore, if you think you’ll be lifting your car quite regularly, it could be a good idea to buy a stand with extra padding.
- Height – Bear in mind the Stand must both fit underneath the vehicle and be tall enough to hold it aloft. If you have a sports car or car with sports suspension then you will need a shorter set of stands, if you have a Ford, an SUV, or a pickup, then you will need a stand with a nice long arm to reach up to the jacking point.
- Locking Mechanism – Most stands will use either a ratcheting mechanism or a pin to secure the saddle at the correct height. Both have advantages, so this will really come down to personal preference. The ratchet-style is usually capable of small adjustments in height, and it is quick to set up. The Pin style is simpler, so will generally be cheaper but is also impossible to adjust in use. Both are as safe as the other, so it’s really whether you think you’d like to be able to make small adjustments.
- Feet/Base – Nice solid feet or a wide base will help the stand to remain stable in use. A good base also distributes the car weight more evenly. So if you are worried about the ground you are planning on lifting the car on, stands with rounded feet or a very wide base is less likely to leave any impressions or other damage.
Safety Tips When Using Jack Stands
Remember, proper use is always very important when you’re lifting your car off the ground. You want to make sure you use your jack correctly, and you’ll need to do the same with your jack stands. Keep the following tips in mind when you’re setting up your jack stands for use.
- Use on Flat Stable Ground – Make sure that you aren’t placing any of your jack stands on an incline, uneven surfaces, or any other rocky ground. You want to keep the stands as stable as possible to prevent accidents, so a flat surface is safest.
- Use Wheel Chocks – Wheel chocks will help prevent your car from unexpectedly rolling while you’re at work. When used together with car safety jack stands, they can help offer extra stability and security. You’ll want to make sure these are also placed on flat, stable ground.
- Check the Weight Capacity of the Stands – Before you set up your jack stands, make sure you’ve selected the right stands with the right weight capacity. This is especially important if you’re working with a car that isn’t your normal vehicle. You want to make sure the jack stands are able to hold the entire weight of your vehicle. It’s a good idea to opt for stands that are rated for a bit more weight than the total weight of the car in question.
- Read the Instructions – Even if you’ve used your car safety jack stands before, it’s always a good idea to double-check the instructions. Every jack stand is different, and you want to make sure you’re correctly placing and setting up the stands. Take the time to read the instructions to ensure you’re doing everything safely.
Our Top Pick
If it’s the best of the best you’re seeking, you’ll want to opt for the Torin Big Red Steel Jack Stands. In our opinion, these car jack stands are a top pick, and they offer both strength, quality materials, and solid construction. This set can lift your car from 11 to 16 inches off the ground, offering support and stability no matter what you’re doing. Each stand is made out of durable high-grade forged steel. You’ll feel the quality each time you lift one of the jack stands up. With oversized saddles to place your vehicle with ease, these car safety jack stands are both tough and easy to use. Plus, they’re backed by a warranty that’ll help you trust in their quality and reliability.