Most bikers know that helmets, gloves, and boots are essential riding equipment, but they neglect to purchase proper motorcycle jeans. Kevlar motorcycle jeans with armor and other types of motorcycle-specific pants are integral in protecting vital areas of your body in unexpected shocks and impacts. Check out our motorcycle jeans buying guide for the best pair of protective jeans on the market.
Benefits of Motorcycle Jeans
- Protection. If you're not wearing the right gear when you ride, you can get serious road rash if you crash. The best motorcycle jeans will protect your lower body in an accident and have abrasion resistance qualities.
- Durability. It's not really hard to tear a hole in a regular pair of jeans, particularly if you slide across the asphalt. Motorcycle jeans are much more durable due to reinforced material and lining.
- Style. Denim motorcycle jeans look good on most men, and you can wear them almost anywhere. They look similar to regular jeans and are very versatile when it comes to the type of shirt, jacket, or boots you pair with them.
Types of Motorcycle Jeans
Regular Fit or Straight Cut
This type of denim is the kind you wear every day while out and about. They are classic blue jeans that have a light fit around your thighs, and they're comfortable and not too tight. The lower half of regular jeans have a straight leg.
Relaxed fit jeans are looser than some other types and are generally wider in the legs for more ventilation. Cargo jeans fit into this category and often feature numerous pockets that easily allow you to store a variety of items, including a wallet, bandana, keys, etc.
Protective motorcycle jeans should correctly fit your body type and make you feel comfortable. If style is an important factor, consider moto jeans that are slim or skinny fit. They are typically more narrow on the lower part of your legs, and they stay close to your body and keep you warm.
Tapered fit jeans feel nice on your waist and thighs. They do not restrict these areas of your body; however, they are a bit narrower below the knees and ankles. They are more modern looking than traditional jeans.
Klim, based in Rigby, Idaho, has been designing and manufacturing technical riding gear for motorcyclists and snowmobilers since 1999. One popular product is the KLIM K Fifty 1 Riding Pant.
Scorpion Sports, Inc.
Based in Santa Fe Springs, Calif., Scorpion Sports was founded in 2002 by Jang Park, who has 30 years of experience in the motorcycling industry in the United States, Europe, South America, and Asia. The company’s main products are high-performance, technical, protective motorcycle helmets, and apparel. One popular product is the ScorpionExo Covert Jeans Men's Reinforced Motorcycle Pants.
Joe Rocket was founded in 1992 and is headquartered in California. Its products have FreeAirTM mesh technology for riding in the extreme summer heat without sacrificing protection as well as the SureFitTM adjustment system, which provides protection in an impact. One top product is the Joe Rocket Men's Accelerator Jean.
Cycle Gear, founded in Northern California, is BILT’s parent company and has been distributing motorbike gear at factory-direct prices since 1974. The company is a member of the AMA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, Motorcycle Industry Council and ORBA. One recommended product is the BILT IRON WORKERS Steel Motorcycle Jeans.
Motorcycle Jeans Pricing
- Under $100: You can find some decent examples of motorcycle jeans if you're on a budget. However, they may not include armor, which you may want to purchase separately.
- $100 and up: The best motorcycle riding jeans can be very expensive, depending on the brand and the options they include. The more money you spend, the more features you will have, such as armor, abrasion protection, and water resistance. Some of the best motorcycle jeans can cost several hundred dollars.
The best biker jeans are made of high-quality denim and are slightly stretchy for comfort. The fabric should be adequately thick to provide optimum protection in a crash. Some of the best biker jeans brands contain a waterproof coating, which is helpful in rainy conditions. The best Kevlar motorcycle jeans will include a lining in the legs or just the knees, calves, and ankles. Kevlar is an insulating fabric and can protect against shocks or crashes.
Motorcycle denim jeans should fit you properly for comfort and safety. Measure your waist, thigh circumference, and inseam to ensure proper fit. Keep in mind that sometimes sizes vary between manufacturers. Jeans that are too small will be irritating, while a pair that's too big won't provide as much protection.
- Armor: The best motorcycle jeans with armor will feature detachable elements that you can remove when you're not riding your bike. The armor protects vital parts of your legs, including your knees, calves, and ankles. Some jeans have special pockets on the inside so you can remove the knee protection or replace the pads with better ones.
- Weight: Traditional denim jeans can weigh anywhere between 8 and 10 ounces. The heavier a pair of jeans are, the more durable they will be. The standard weight for motorcycle jeans is 12 ounces, but if you want even greater protection, opt for a pair that's at least 14 ounces.
- Reinforced Stitching: Reinforced motorcycle jeans have extra stitching on areas such as between your legs, on your ankles, and around the knees, making them more durable. They should also have a little bit of stretch so they can be used when riding or when you're walking around.
Best Motorcycle Jeans Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- You can clean most types of motorcycle jeans in a washing machine with cold water. We recommend using a short washing cycle to prevent tearing, fasten all zippers and buttons, and avoid using bleach. Finally, line dry them.
- Remember those motorcycle pants won't protect you as well as full-race leather gear, which offers maximum protection when you slide across the pavement.
- Read a manufacturer's return and exchange policies before you make a purchase. You may need to return the jeans if they don't properly fit.
- Before you choose a pair of motorcycle chaps, decide whether you want to wear them over or under your boots. A looser, more relaxed fit will enable you to put them over your footwear.
Q: What’s the difference between motorcycle jeans and regular jeans?
A: In general, motorcycle jeans are thicker and more resistant to tearing as well as inclement weather conditions. The stitching is typically very high quality, and the jeans are usually reinforced with Kevlar.
Q: What’s the benefit of fully-lined Kevlar jeans?
A: Jeans with a Kevlar lining is very durable and protect essential areas of your body during an impact. While the interior lining may be slightly rough, the best Kevlar motorcycle jeans include reinforcement materials that can make a big difference in terms of safety.
Q: Do all motorcycle jeans come with hip and knee pads?
A: Some motorcycle jeans only come with Kevlar reinforcement. Others have armor and padding included. Some brands have pockets where you need to purchase the armor separately.
Q: Are motorcycle jeans breathable?
A: Kevlar reinforced jeans and motorcycle jeans with armor tend to be heavier than regular jeans. For maximum comfort, seek a pair with a mesh lining, which helps keep you cooler.
Our pick for the best motorcycle jeans are the KLIM K Fifty 1 Riding Pant. They're sturdy, comfortable, and protective and feature a reinforced Kevlar panel in the slide zones and an integrated armor system. You can adjust the height of the knee pads, and you hardly notice that you're wearing armor.
For a more budget-minded option, consider the Lee Men's Performance Series Extreme Motion Jeans.