A spark plug is an essential part of the vehicle because it is associated with the ignition system. It generates electric current required to ignite the mixture of petrol and air compressed in the internal combustion chamber.
Combustion cannot occur in the chamber without this spark. So, you cannot start your vehicle without creating power to move the wheels. You need spark plugs that fit well to enable the motor to roar and the car to run smoothly.
The best spark plugs for horsepower in the market can enable you to restore your car’s functionalities and enhance fuel economy. Therefore, when shopping for them, please don’t assume they all the same. You can determine its quality by checking the price and quality of the material used to make it.
In order to help you save time, we have highlighted top 5 best spark plugs for horsepower at the comparison table below:
Bosch 9620 Double Iridium
|- Brand: Bosch Automotive|
- Item Dimensions: 4.3 x 4.1 x 0.9 inches
- Item Weight: 6.4 ounces
- Core Material: Iridium
- Fits: 2015-2018 Chevrolet City Express, 2007-2013 Nissan Altima, 2009-2014 Nissan Cube, 2013-2018 Nissan NV200, 2008-2013 Nissan Rogue, 2014-2015 Nissan Rogue Select, 2007-2019 Nissan Sentra, 2007-2012 Nissan Versa
- 0.6mm fine wire firing pin
- 360 Degree continuous laser weld
Denso (4504) PK20TT
|- Brand: Denso|
- Item Dimensions LxWxH: 1.1 x 3.4 x 1.2 inches
- Item Weight: 1.44 ounces
- Core material: Platinum
- Twin-tip technology with 11 mm platinum center electrode and 11 mm titanium enhanced ground electrode
- Purified alumina powder insulator
- 360 Laser welding
8 PCS NEW -- NGK 3403
|- Brand: NGK|
- Item Dimensions LxWxH: 3.31 x 0.94 x 6.64 inches
- Item Weight: 12.2 ounces
- Core material: Platinum
- 1order = 8 Pieces
- G Power
- NGK 3403
|- Brand: Motorcraft|
- Package Dimensions: 2 x 4 x 5 inches
- Item Weight: 11.2 ounces
- Core material: Platinum
|- Brand: ACDelco|
- Item Dimensions: 3.74 x 3.27 x 0.94 inches
- Item Weight: 3.36 ounces
- Core Material: Iridium
- Iridium offers excellent engine idle stability and smooth performance
- One piece suppressor seal helps block radio frequencies
- Suppressor seal meters spark energy for long electrode life and helps prevent combustion leakage
The Benefits of Spark Plugs
Spark plugs are designed to generate electric sparks, which ignites the compressed mixture of gasoline and air. The combustion process enables the pistons to move up and down to start your car. So apart from igniting your vehicle, what other benefits does it have:
- Reduce exhaust emission: If you change the spark plugs in your vehicle, you reduce misfires’ likelihood. This is because misfires always increase exhaust emissions. Therefore, you should be very keen with spark plug troubles to have a smooth drive. If you replace them immediately, you can save money and economize on fuel.
- Improves fuel efficiency: Your engine cannot operate efficiently if your spark plugs are faulty. If you replace them with new set, your motor runs smoothly, hence increasing fuel efficiency.
- The smooth engine idle: When your spark plugs are functioning correctly, they provide enough ignition to speed up combustion in the motor. If they are worn out, you can have a rough ride. Therefore, if you replace the faulty one, your engine can have a smooth ride or idle.
- Enhances performance: Spark plugs made of iridium take less voltage to fire the engine, hence more horsepower, low exhaust emission, enhanced combustion, and better fuel economy.
- Better engine response and acceleration: You should replace your spark plugs if you often increase pressure on the gas pedal or your car tends to be inactive. When they are healthy, the combustion process is maximized, giving your vehicle smooth acceleration and improved engine response.
Different Types of Spark Plugs
The materials used to make spark plugs determine their performance. The type of vehicle and engine determines the type of spark plug to use. So, you need to know the different kinds in the market:
They boast of heavy-duty iridium construction, which is considered the best spark plugs to increase horsepower, better performance, gas mileage, and longevity. They are priced higher due to advanced technology and high-quality material. These properties ensure that the gasoline and air mixture is appropriately ignited.
They are resilient to overheating because they can operate under low temperatures. They have small electrodes of about 4mm. Therefore, they are suitable for engines with high performance.
They are relatively cheap and the most basic plugs that are compatible with old vehicles. Unfortunately, most modern engines are not compatible with this type of plugs. Although, some of the old engines can function properly using copper core spark plugs.
They are being replaced by iridium and platinum spark plugs due to better performance and durability. Their electrodes have the largest diameter of about 2.5mm. Nevertheless, a new copper plug can restore your car’s horsepower and decrease fuel economy.
They are an upgrade of copper core plugs. If your vehicle uses distributor-based systems, especially a new one, then these are the ideal spark plugs for it. They have both platinum cap and electrode.
They can function well in low temperatures and can last longer than the basic copper core. Moreover, they are relatively cheaper than iridium spark plugs. Nevertheless, these plugs don’t break down anyhow; thus, they can give your car a significant boost to improve its functionalities.
This design has been branded as the “waste spark” because it wastes the return sparks after sending a spark onto the compression. They give your vehicle high performance, effectiveness, and durability.
They are considerably cheaper than iridium plugs. They use platinum in the cap as well as electrodes. If you intend to upgrade from single platinum, then this is the best option for you.
Signs That Require You to Change Spark Plugs
- Misfiring: Your car can experience occasional misfiring when driving. If you have faulty plugs, the cylinders cannot function efficiently. Therefore, you can run a risk of increased exhaust emissions.
- Idling difficulties: Your car should have smooth and consistent idling. If its idling is jittery and causes excessive vibration, change your plugs promptly.
- Hard start: If your vehicle is hard to start, especially during the cool weather, you check your plugs. Damaged plugs cannot ignite your car engine. You can also drain your battery due to constant motor cranking.
- Difficulty in fuel consumption: If the plugs are faulty, it increases fuel consumption. But if you change your worn-out plugs, then you can solve the issue of fuel economy.
The Most Incredible Features of the Best Spark Plugs for Horsepower
You should focus on different features when looking for spark plugs for better performance, gas mileage, and horsepower. Here’s the guideline that you should follow:
When choosing a spark plug, consider one constructed with high-quality material. Platinum provides your car with better performance, excellent mix of fuel economy and efficiency. Iridium spark plugs are the best option if you intend to maximize your vehicle’s horsepower but at a higher cost. In general, use plugs that are recommended by the manufacture to avoid engine problems.
Size of the Thread or Nut
Spark plugs have different specifications in terms of threats and nuts. Checking the size of the nut and thread of your plug model can help you to choose the one that matches your vehicle. The thread and nuts’ size in the United States always ranges between 10mm to 18mm for threads and 16mm to 28mm for nuts.
The Type of Gap
Most plugs have adjustable spark gaps, thus can be used in different engines. The hole can be adjusted using the gaper equipment and a gauge to get your vehicle’s actual size. The spark gaps range between 0.5mm to 0.8mm.
Range of Heat
Spark plugs can be classified as either cold or hot. They can be specified as cold if it conducts excess heat from the tip and lowers its temperature, while if they good insulators of heat, they are classified as hot.
Checking the heat specifications is relatively easy because most manufacturers always indicate the range number. Most brands use ascending to denote hot plugs and vice versa for cold plugs.
The Best Recommended Spark Plugs for Horsepower
Now that you have all the necessary information needed to shop for best spark plugs for horsepower, check the products reviewed below. They can help you make the best choice.
1. Bosch (9620) Double Iridium Pin to Pin
If you own a new car, then Bosch Double Pin to Pin are the best option for you because they give you the best technology. It has double firing iridium pins and electrode pin-to-pin plugs; thus, it produces the required voltage for ignition.
It is a pre-gapped plug; therefore, you install it and kick-start your engine without adjusting the spark gap. The laser welds provide your car with better retention without sacrificing its quality. It has an OE-matched spark position integrated with original Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) technology.
2. Denso (4504) Platinum Spark Plugs
Denso platinum plugs can restore your car’s horsepower, improve fuel economy and engine acceleration. It is made of dual-platinum with platinum disc and electrode tip. These features enable it to provide a reliable spark to create smooth combustion for fuel and air mixture.
It has purified alumina powder used as an insulator, increasing thermal conductivity and strength of power surge. The twin tip technology reduces misfires and the emission of carbon dioxide.
There’s no need to replace them regularly because they can sustain high temperatures and heavy usage. These plugs come in different sizes to fit a wide range of vehicles.
3. NGK G-Power (3403) Platinum Alloy Spark Plug
The NGK G-Power Platinum Alloy Plug is made of high-quality materials and advanced technology to give your engine better performance and horsepower. If you install this plug, it can take less time to start your car, restoring acceleration functionalities.
It has a platinum tip of 0.6mm welded with a laser, thus producing low voltage sparks. Its ribs are covered with insulators to eradicate any possibilities of fouling. The trivalent metal plating protects it against rust and seizure, so no need for regular replacement.
4. Genuine Motorcraft (SP-493) Spark Plug
If you want a perfect balance between price and horsepower, you should acquire a Genuine Motorcraft Plug. It is a double-platinum plug made of either steel or a solid nickel-plated shell. You can use them for more than 150,000 miles without replacing them.
The electrodes have platinum pads hence generating sparks at low voltage, and it protects you against damages associated with heat. It can also protect the ignition system from stress and ensure that it functions smoothly. It has a scavenger area for more carbon build-up before the engine misfires.
5. ACDelco (41-993) Professional Iridium
ACDelco professional Platinum gives you iridium-based quality, excellent engine stability, and better horsepower. It has small electrodes that enhance the quality of your engine. It also creates improved cold starting with quick acceleration. It has iridium wire at the tip that burns carbon emission, hence enhancing the fuel ignition.
The fine iridium wire also eradicates carbon deposits at the tip hence making it always clean. It has a one-piece suppressor that blocks harmful radio frequencies that can affect electronics in your car. It has a suppressor meter to secure spark energy for long-lasting electrodes and caps against rust.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can the spark plugs increase the horsepower of my car?
No, they cannot increase your vehicle’s horsepower, but they can restore it to base level. Faulty plugs can affect acceleration and fuel consumption. Thus, changing them can solve all these problems.
How often do I need to replace my spark plugs?
It depends on how you care for and maintain your plugs and your driving style too. But it is advisable to change them after about 50,000 miles for iridium plugs and 40 miles for the copper core.
Should I use cold or hot spark plugs?
Use the plug recommended by the manufacturer. But if your plugs are contaminated with carbon deposits or the engine has rich gasoline and air ration, then you can use a hotplug. Otherwise, use the cold plug.
What are the signs and symptoms of a faulty Spark Plug?
When you are driving, you might recognize some of the following symptoms: hesitation during acceleration, rough idling, plug wires burned at the end, drop in fuel economy, and difficulty in starting the engine. If you suspect any of these signs, then change the plugs immediately.
Several factors contribute to your spark plugs’ weakening, such as extreme weather conditions, carbonization, and heat. Therefore, buy plugs that can restore your vehicle’s engine capability. You have different options to choose from and improve fuel economy and efficiency. So, which are the best spark plugs for horsepower can you buy for your vehicle?