If you were to ask me which form of forbidden fruit I wish were sold in the USA, my knee-jerk response would be, “Alpine.” Well, that and the several generations of various hot hatchbacks that we never got in America.
- Car: 2022 Alpine A110S
- Location: Unknown
- Photog: Unknown (used with permission from Alpine)
- Camera: Unknown
Everyone abroad seems to be infatuated with the Alpine A110 since it was resurrected in 2017, and though I’ve never driven one, I agree it’s worthy of my daydreams. I trust Evo‘s immense love of it to gauge how fun it is to drive, and it makes sense. The recipe is almost Lotus-like in its simplicity. Touting 250 horsepower from a little turbo 1.8-liter four-cylinder that sits behind the rear wheels (Lotus cars are mid-engine by comparison), a 2,450-pound curb weight, and a seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox, this thing is built for corners. Plus, it has good independent suspension, sport seats, and drop-dead gorgeous looks.
Pricing isn’t too ridiculous, either. They start out at 59,500 euros (roughly $67,500) and 71,500 euros ($81,100) for the S trim I’d opt for. OK, that’s actually a lot of money, but as far as dream cars that I could potentially pony up for one day go, there’s certainly a lot more out there that fetches a far larger piece of scratch. The 2021 BMW M3 (non-Competition trim) starts at $79,895, and although it’s a fun car, its driving experience almost certainly pales in comparison to the featherlight and focused Alpine’s. I sure wish I get the chance to drive one someday.
What to read next:
- Car Autance launched a new series, Car Confessions and Hard Lessons. In the first installment, Victoria Scott writes how she learned that her beloved Toyota Supra wasn’t her entire identity.
- Kevin Williams bought a rear-engined RWD car for basically nothing. Spoiler: It’s a Mitsubishi i-MiEV.
- EV test drive and review: The 2021 Polestar 2 feels like a Lancer Evo made by Crate & Barrel.
- Mercedes-Benz previously said three-box sedans look bad as electric cars. The 620-mile Vision EQXX Concept shows off its alternative design.