This was one of the funnier photobombs I’ve ever encountered.
- Subject: The Michelin Man
- Location: Long Beach, CA
- Photog: Peter Nelson (IG + Twitter: @16vPete)
- Camera: Canon 6D + Canon EOS 35-70mm EF Zoom
The 2021 installment of the International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) Weathertech Sports Car Challenge at Long Beach had just wrapped up, and it was time to head to the podium for photos of teams awarded with their well-earned hardware, as well some ceremonial fire-hosing of cheap champagne.
When I got there, the bubbly began to flow like wine, and all of the other journalists cameras’ flocked to the scene like the salmon of Capistrano.
This kind of stuff always makes for fun photo content. Just look at how hard the driver on the far left is hosing down his teammate. However, what made this photo hilarious was getting photobombed by the Michelin Man. He’d been standing off to the side beforehand and walked right into my shot when the corks started popping.
The creepy thing about the Michelin Man is no matter what angle you’re at, it looks like he’s staring directly at you. Surely, this is intentional for photogenic marketing purposes, but it also makes him look menacing when he walks in front of your shot. I’m not mad by the way. I think it’s a hilarious capture and I’m glad he was part of the celebration.
More great stories on Car Autance
- Car Autance made its first full video! Check out this technical comparison of the Lexus IS F and the new Lexus IS 500.
- Chris Rosales got into a crash in his VW Golf GTI, and it rattled his mental health more than expected.
- We compared a 2021 Land Rover Defender 90 to an old Land Rover Discovery 1 to see how the two stacked up against each other.
- Years of car culture have vanished from public view after Jalopnik’s overloads hid thousands of images.
- The drag strip is made for burning rubber and inspiring young enthusiasts.