Hoonigan is no stranger to incredibly cool throwback motorsports machines, and its latest concoction thoroughly proves this point. Travis Pastrana is now the pilot of this insane Subaru Gymkhana build.
- Car: Travis Pastrana Gymkhana Subaru GL
- Location: Unknown
- Photog: Unknown (used with permission from Hoonigan)
- Camera: Unknown
This thing looks the absolute business. It’s a throwback to the early 1980s Subaru GL wagon shape with massive fenders, giant tires, the works. It looks like a cross between a ’80s AJTCC car mixed with an ’80s Trans Am racer, except it’s a car that never raced in either series.
What’s cool is it’s not a modified old GL, but rather a full carbon, all-custom racecar styled after it. There’s no word on what’s underneath, but I’ll hedge that it has some kind of race-prepped Subaru STI drive/powertrain like his previous Gymkhana machine. My God, does it sound so glorious banging off the rev limiter in a fast slide, as demonstrated at the beginning of this video. All that’s left to do is backflip it.
What to read next:
- In the newest Car Autance video, EIC Andrew Collins demonstrates how and why he upgraded his garage with all-new LED lights.
- Car Autance launched a new series, Car Confessions and Hard Lessons. In the third installment, Engineering Explained creator Jason Fenske explains why buying a Subaru WRX STI was the worst car decision he’s ever made.
- With its new used car platform Car Bravo, GM is aiming to beat out companies like CarMax and Carvana at their own games.
- The first 2022 Subaru WRX dyno numbers are in, and they tell a deeper story.
- We know the used car market is crazy, but you should keep your eye on these three excellent 2000s sport sedans.